Friday, November 5, 2021

Why Not? // 2 and last !

As promised here is the full view of my quilt I finished in September, exactly one year after my exhibit that was the reason I started this hand sewing project to go. Funny coincidence don't you think? Also funny that the only thing I knew at that time was that I was going to epp a bunch of sixteenpatch blocks.
If you read through the previous post you'll understand more of the process and the name.

Why Not?
158 x 123 cm
epp and machine pieced, machine quilted









This project produced some left over epp squares that sparked a new idea for a quilt I'm quilting right now. I'll share more about that soon as well.



Thursday, November 4, 2021

Why Not? // 1

In August 2020 I started a new improvised hand sewing project to take with me while looking after my exhibit that took place a month later. I resorted to simple epp squares. My plan was to sew sixteenpatch blocks with a defined color palette and decide later what to do with them.

I had two bright orange prints I no longer liked and decided (why not?) to try using bleach to change the color. The result was a kind of apricot or salmon hue and I liked pairing them with brown/reddish ones.




After the exhibit this became a side project and by the end of 2020 I had sewn a decent number of blocks and found I wanted to add interest by introducing another pair of colors.



By April of this year I had hand sewn enough blocks to start thinking about layout on my design wall.
It was also then that I felt I didn't want to fill the blanks with more of the same blocks but rather (why not?) introduce another element.




That was also the moment I no longer wanted to continue hand sewing this top and decided (why not?) to continue by machine piecing the blocks together. 



Because I added sashing but not everywhere I had some fussy piecing to do.



Adding those small corner stones was a bit tedious but very worth the effort.



It became July when I got around to machine quilt and in August the binding was attached and funny enough in September, exactly a year after the exhibit that started this project, I attached the label.


It took me another while to take pictures of the finished quilt and to pull myself together to write this blogpost. Instagram makes sharing pictures so much easier and I've shown many there including the finished quilt last September. Still I wanted to document the journey of this making here too. Tomorrow I'll post the finished quilt as well.



Tuesday, April 27, 2021

CaBa - a commissioned family memory lane quilt

Back in February I have also been commissioned to make a family memory quilt. My client gave me a stack of worn clothes from family members of different generations. The idea was to make a memory quilt she wants to gift to her daughter as a wedding present. I was thrilled and honoured. I made her various proposals of design options and she chose a string quilt. 

Long story short, what started out with this



resulted into this









It measures 174 x 137 cm, turned out pretty soft and cuddly and I couldn't be happier with the result. The best part about it though is that my client is as happy as I am if not even more.

Yesterday was the day, when she and her husband came by to pick up the finished quilt.




You can check my Instagram feed to see tons of work in progress pictures and more.


Thursday, February 11, 2021

Rose - a commissioned babyquilt // 2 and last !

As promised, here is the finished quilt. My client just left with her new purchase and I'm so glad she really loved it. She loved my fabric additions and layout choices. And also was very pleased with the striped binding. This has been such a great new experience. Lots of first times. First time making a quilt on order, first time starting with fabrics given to me, first time no pre-washing the fabrics to achieve stronger fluffiness, first time adding false piping to the binding.

Here it is. Rose. 114 x 114 cm. Machine pieced and machine quilted.






And here it is with its happy new owner at the very moment she first got to see it.



Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Rose - a commissioned babyquilt // 1

Last week I finished a babyquilt. It is my first commission and my client is the grandmother who ordered the quilt for herself for when baby comes to visit. She had visited my exhibit last September and got inspired to have her own custom made quilt. She went ahead and bought fabrics with darling baby prints and brought them to me. I was free to make whatever I wanted, using some or all of the fabrics, adding others, choosing the design. We only agreed on the approximate size of the finished quilt. It's been a fantastic challenge for me. At first I was a bit overwhelmed with her fabric choices. Mostly large prints, mostly same value colors. I had to invent a design that would showcase the lovely prints. This has been my first order and a different experience in quilt making. I've made many quilts to be gifted before, thinking of the recipient during the process of designing and making the quilt. This time, being it an order, there was an additional aspect to be considered. The pressure of making something, the client will happily pay for.

Long story short, here are pictures of the making of. I'll be back with the finished quilt later this week and at that time I'll also know how it's been received.















Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...