Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Rose - a commissioned babyquilt // 1

Last week I finished a babyquilt. It is my first commission and my client is the grandmother who ordered the quilt for herself for when baby comes to visit. She had visited my exhibit last September and got inspired to have her own custom made quilt. She went ahead and bought fabrics with darling baby prints and brought them to me. I was free to make whatever I wanted, using some or all of the fabrics, adding others, choosing the design. We only agreed on the approximate size of the finished quilt. It's been a fantastic challenge for me. At first I was a bit overwhelmed with her fabric choices. Mostly large prints, mostly same value colors. I had to invent a design that would showcase the lovely prints. This has been my first order and a different experience in quilt making. I've made many quilts to be gifted before, thinking of the recipient during the process of designing and making the quilt. This time, being it an order, there was an additional aspect to be considered. The pressure of making something, the client will happily pay for.

Long story short, here are pictures of the making of. I'll be back with the finished quilt later this week and at that time I'll also know how it's been received.













No comments:

Post a Comment